Pages- Some of you have asked to see some of the older prayers/songs that I wrote (arr. by year)

Friday, March 30, 2012

Phenomenal Vegan Alfredo! :)

Okay, so this is a very dangerous discovery. Proceed at your own risk. ;)
I found this recipe:
http://veganizzm.com/post/4409367066/creamy-vegan-fettucini-alfredo-with-zucchini-carrot
and made it a few times, tweaking here and there and generally just experimenting and came up with this:

1 medium clove of garlic, quartered
roughly 1 teaspoon of olive oil
3/4 cup nuts, half raw cashews, half walnuts
2 Tb nutritional yeast flakes
1 Tb lemon juice
1 ts sea salt
1/2 cup of almond mylk, more or less

- Put the quartered garlic clove in a small ovenproof dish (I used a creme brulee dish) and drizzle it with just enough olive oil to coat the cloves. (As you've probably noticed, I'm not a big oil fan so this is really splurging for me!) Put in convection oven for about 5-10 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, put the nuts, nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, and salt in the blender and blend them roughly together until nuts form a grainy consistency.
- Add in the garlic and oil from the oven and some almond mylk.
- Blend to desired consistency, adding more almond mylk as needed. (This thickens in the refrigerator, so if you find later that it is too thick you can even just add more almond mylk to the container and stir until smooth.)

For pasta you can use traditional fettucini or other "normal" noodles or grate some vegetables you have on hand into long strips and put in a frying pan with some water, salt, and other seasonings (I usually like to use an Italian seasoning blend with basil, oregano, thyme, etc., but lately I've been enjoying a rosemary/garlic blend, too.) and cook until soft. Then toss with alfredo sauce and top with black pepper. For vegetables, I've used the original blog's idea of zucchini and carrots, which was quite good. I also tried a batch with yellow squash and another batch with sweet potato, thickly sliced mushrooms, chopped (deseeded) tomato, chopped (destalked) kale, and thinly sliced celery. Those batches were good, too.

I've been trying to come up with a good vegan alfredo for a while. (The bane of being a vegan Italian and living with non-vegan parents is watching them eat one of my favorite dishes (fettucini alfredo) and not knowing of any way to make anything that would taste like it!) But this is as close as I've come! The cashews make it creamy and the walnuts/lemon juice/nutritional yeast flakes mixture give it a slight parmesan flavor. The roasted garlic is a necessity for it to ring true to my memories of what I had growing up (like I said, we ARE Italian! Garlic goes in everything!) and the almond mylk ties it all together.

TRY THIS!!!! But if you find yourself making it everyday, you can't say you weren't warned! (Refer to disclaimer at beginning.)  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment